English    Russian

Home  /  University  /  Museum  /  History

Belarusian light industry had been widely developed by the 1960s.

Many new businesses of knitwear, footwear, sewing and other industries were restored and built after World War II.

There was a need for light industry personnel in the republic.

On August 14, 1959 the Council of Ministers of the BSSR approved the proposal of the Ministry of Higher and Secondary Special Education to construct the Technological Institute of Light Industry in Vitebsk.

The planned complex consisted of the following buildings:

  1. Education building.
  2. Laboratory building.
  3. Two dormitories for 205 and 651 seats.
  4. Sports complex.

The drawings for the construction were completed in February 1964.

The construction was carried out by the 38th Building Department of Construction Trust № 9. The team which built the Institute received the Order of Lenin.

The commission of the academic building, the first hostel and external communications took place on the 1st of September 1965.

The decision to open the Institute was signed by the Government and the Council of Ministers of the BSSR on June 24, 1965.

Professor, Doctor of Science Stepan Evdokimovich Savitski, who previously worked at Minsk Institute of Agriculture as the chair of chemistry department, became Rector of the Institute by the order of the Ministry of Higher and Secondary Special Education of the BSSR.

Stepan Evdokimovich Savitskilived lived a hard life. The events that included festive and sorrowful dates in the history of the country became his personal biography, his fate. He received a certificate of education in 1941, and in 1942 - a certificate of courage. He was a partisan scout, a war veteran. Together with other members of Berlin storming, he put a winning point in the brutal war.

Stepan Evdokimovich was a great enthusiast of chemistry, to which he remained faithful all his life. He dedicated 23 years of hard work to the Institute.

The enrollment of students to Vitebsk Technological Institute started in June 1965. At that time the Institute trained light industry engineers in 5-specialties:

  • Machinery and Production of Light Industry Equipment;
  • Sewn Goods Technology;
  • Knitwear Production;
  • Leather Goods Design;
  • Chemical Engineering and Equipment for Finishing (training in Ivanovo).

There were only 250 people and 49 teachers.

On September 1, 1965, there was a meeting to mark the opening of the Institute and the beginning of classes. Laboratories, drawing rooms, a library were set up during the first year of the Institute. New specialities were opened at the university in 1966:

  • Economics and Organization of Light Industry;
  • Sewn Goods Design;
  • Design of Leather Goods.

On September 1, 1965, there was a meeting to mark the opening of the Institute and the beginning of classes. Laboratories, drawing rooms, a library were created during the first year of the Institute. New specialities were established in 1966:

  • Economics and Organization of Light Industry;
  • Sewn Goods Design;
  • Design of Leather Goods.

On September 1, 1966, dean’s offices were formed:

  • Mechanical (Dean Makharinsky E.I.);
  • Knitting and Economic (Dean Dmitriev V.A.);
  • Sewn Goods Production (Dean Laiko V.M.).

Vitebsk light industry enterprises were the first to learn about the Institute. Their best workers became the first students of the Institute.

Powered by: Amiro.CMS engine